• 1 ½ kilograms ripe tomatoes cut in half
• 6 garlic cloves unpeeled
• 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
• 1 large bunch basil
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 5-8 anchovy fillets
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
• Optional: dried chili flakes
• Whole basil leaves
• Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the tomatoes cut side up in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic cloves and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 45 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
2. Peel the roasted garlic cloves then blend the tomatoes and garlic in a food processor, with a handful of basil leaves.
3. Strain the tomato mixture through a sieve to remove the seeds.
4. Fry anchovies and onion in olive oil, in a large saucepan on low to medium heat. Fry until the anchovies have dissolved and the onion is brown and translucent. Add tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes. Add tomato mixture and stock and bring to the boil.
5. Add in a handful of chopped basil leaves, leaving some whole leaves for serving.
6. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin oil and extra basil leaves. Serve with a crusty baguette.